Many national surveys rank moving to a new home as one of the top five most stressful common experiences. You can lower your stress levels the next time you have to move by creating a plan and sticking to a timeline.
Moving: What You Need to Do and When
No one likes to move, but using the following timetable can reduce your stress and can lead to a more successful move:
Two Months Before Moving Day
Now is the time to get organized and do research:
- Decide what you want to keep, sell, give away or toss. Remember that the more you take to your new home, the more expensive and difficult you are making your move. Only take what is essential to you.
- Research movers in your area; finding a quality moving company as early as possible can help alleviate a lot of your stress. Most movers can help their clients prepare for the move and answer questions. Moving company are a great resource for locating packing supplies and other move essentials.
- Buy a three-ring binder and a package of plastic pockets. Use the binder to store all of your move-related information, such as your move's inventory list, contact numbers, and important personal information.
One Month Before Moving Day
It is getting closer to crunch time, and many people now experience an increase in stress. Help reduce your stress by getting things done:
- Pack the non-essential items. Clear out the garage, basement and any spare rooms in your home. Label all the boxes and check the items off from your inventory sheet.
- Call the utility companies to inform them you are moving. Contact your children's current schools to tell them about your move and make sure they know where to send your children's records. Let your doctor know you are moving and ask for recommendations for a new doctor in the area.
- File a change of address form at your local post office or online.
Two Weeks Before Moving Day
It is now time to get serious about packing:
- Finish packing the majority of your home's items. You may wish to keep valuable jewelry or collectibles separate from the rest of your items and take them to your new home yourself.
- Arrange a cleaning service for your new home to guarantee it is ready for your arrival.
One Week Before Moving Day
- Call the movers and confirm the time and date of your move.
- Pay any outstanding bills for your old home.
The Day Before Moving Day
- Pack a suitcase for each member of your family with only the essentials for the first 48 hours after arriving at the new home.
- Throw out any leftover food, defrost the fridge and do general cleaning.
- Get a good night sleep.
- Arrange childcare for the little ones to allow you to concentrate on the move.
- Supervise the movers.
- Double check your home before locking up and leaving for the last time.
Need help during your move? Call (615) 240-2811 to speak with the moving experts at True Friends Moving in Nashville. We look forward to making your move stress-free!