It is a well-known fact of life that moving is just plain hard! Even with the most careful planning, moving to a new home can be incredibly stressful. Luckily, though, it can also be quite exciting. We've put together this handy to-do list for you to help minimize the stress so that you can focus more on enjoying your new life in your new home.
2 Months Out
- While this may seem a bit early to start planning your move, trust us, it's not. Now is the time to get everything ready to go, before the stress kicks in. Start researching movers, cleaners, painters and any other services you might need. Always get price quotes in writing.
- Create a folder, either a physical one or one on your computer, to save any documentation you have. With so much going on, it can be hard to keep track of everything, and having it all in one place can be extremely helpful.
1 Month Out
- If you haven't already, now is the time to book all of the service providers you researched last month. The earlier you book, the better your chances of getting your preferred dates and times.
- Before things get too crazy, take the time to sort through your belongings. Have a garage sale to get rid of anything you no longer want or need. The money you bring in can help to cover your moving costs. Anything you don't sell can be donated, given to friends and family, or thrown away.
2 Weeks Out
- Time to start packing! Start with things that you won't be needing over the next couple of weeks, like off-season clothing, fine china, and decorative items. Label everything carefully so that you know exactly what is in each box.
- Make arrangements for child and pet care for moving day, if needed. It will make things much easier for you and your movers if you don't have little ones (furry or otherwise) running around.
1 Week Out
- Keep going on that packing. When it comes to packing dishes and other breakable items, make your towels and clothes do double duty. Blankets, sweaters and other soft items can be used to protect fragile things while in transit, saving you money on packing materials.
- Update your address with the post office, your banks and credit cards, and any other interested parties. Be sure to transfer utilities and other services to your new address as well.
- Set aside an overnight bag with all of the essentials you'll need right away so that you don't have to look for them.
- Take a deep breath, and trust your movers to handle all of the heavy lifting. Give them clear instructions with regards to where you would like everything to go.
- Don't worry about unpacking everything right away. Start with just the essentials, and be sure to take plenty of breaks.
- Take some time to get to know your new neighborhood and meet your neighbors.
For help with your move, call True Friends Moving Company. We'll ensure that everything gets to your new destination safely.